Director, Marketing & Communications, ODAR
Position Overview: Reporting to the Associate Vice President of the Office of Development and Alumni Relations (ODAR), the Director of Marketing and Communications will lead efforts to ensure an effective communication strategy is designed and implemented to internal and external audiences. Among the core responsibilities are to promote effective, streamlined, and coordinated communication to all constituents and across the department.
The Director of Marketing and Communications will implement comprehensive, cohesive, and effective communications strategies to create a culture of philanthropy and to increase engagement with the College. These communication strategies support the strategic and operational goals of the Office of Development and Alumni Relations and the Merrimack College community. The Director of Marketing and Communications will join a growing Development and Alumni Relations department that is currently in the final year of the Institutions largest capital campaign.
- Conceptualize and subsequently oversee the implementation of an integrated communications plan to advance the goals set forth for the Office of Development and Alumni Relations (including O’Brien Center for Career Development), which include the successful execution of a comprehensive fundraising campaign.
- Under his/her leadership, the communications plan will be designed and disseminated to further engage the Merrimack community (ialumni, parents, faculty, staff, and students) and its friends, to create a culture of philanthropy, and to increase volunteerism, advocacy, and giving.
- Craft messaging and coordinate communications for ODAR (including O’Brien Center for Career Development) related programs: helps shape programs to most effectively deliver intended messaging (through remarks, student presentations, and collateral and on- and off-screen signage).
- Write, edit, and proofread fundraising proposals, gift opportunity descriptions, concept papers, reports, and other materials for varied audiences to solicit significant gifts in support of the College’s fundraising goals and priorities. Also oversee the production of these assets by third-party consultants and contractors.
- Develop deep content knowledge on a range of College academic programs and priorities, and serve as a resource on those areas for Development colleagues. This will include translating academic planning, admissions, marketing, and other College documents into fundraising-focused materials for use across varied communication platforms.
- Collaborative partner for development and implementation of annual fund and alumni materials. Collaborate on Donor Services/Stewardship plan, collateral pieces and donor recognition implementation.
- Ensure communications standards and expectations are shared and implemented across the department and encourage colleagues to engage in advance planning and coordinated review for communications needs.
- Coordinate a comprehensive communications calendar that includes emails, newsletters, print, social media and web communications thoughtfully planned and executed throughout the department.
- Work with department managers to ensure marketing/communications collateral are within scope of budget.
- Create and sustain supportive and collaborative partnerships with the College’s Office of Communications as well as colleague organizations on campus.
- Manage the overall design and creation of materials with the assistance of communication specialists.
- Bachelor’s degree or higher in communications, marketing or a related discipline.
- 7-10 years of progressively responsible experience in strategic communications, public relations, media relations, marketing or related areas, preferably within higher education.
- Demonstrated proficiency with the Microsoft Office Suite of products, InDesign, Photoshop.
- Exemplary written and verbal communication skills with an audience-based, result driven approach to strategic communications.
- Senior-level experience in developing strategic and comprehensive communications plans and related content, and executing against those plans to achieve goals and objectives on schedule.
- Proven ability to maintain a ‘big picture’ view while recognizing the importance of a close attention to detail.
- Familiarity with tracking systems and a high degree of comfort with using technology to communicate and share information. Millenniums experience a plus.
To Apply: Please apply online with cover letter and resume.
Merrimack College is an Equal Opportunity Employer.