Assistant Director of Athletic Communications
Position Overview: The Merrimack College Athletic Department seeks a qualified candidate to fill a professional appointment as Assistant Athletic Communications Director. This part-time, nine-month position will report to the Assistant Athletic Director/Communications and the Associate Director of Athletic Communications to promote the 24 NCAA sports sponsored by Merrimack through both new and traditional media forums.
Responsibilities: The Assistant Director of Athletic Communications will play a key role in publicizing Merrimack’s 24-sport athletics program, which competes mainly in the Division II Northeast-10 Conference, as well as well as men’s and women’s ice hockey competing in Division I Hockey East. The successful candidate will be able to deliver content to a broad base of constituents in a variety of formats. Extensive evening, weekend and holiday work is required. Key responsibilities include:
- Contributing to the Athletics department website (www.MerrimackAthletics.comOpens a New Window.) and all social media platforms, with content type ranging from written, graphic design and multimedia/video;
- Being directly responsible for ALL publicity efforts in select sports (to be assigned), including writing, editing and distributing all press releases; social media management for multiple accounts across a variety of platforms; editing videos (season previews, game highlights, etc.); and designing of game day programs, flyers and similar materials;
- Management of student employees and game-day event staff for all home games for assigned sports, as well as home games for other sports as requested (i.e., football & men’s ice hockey);
- Assigning and supervising student staff to assist with in-game responsibilities (scoreboard, public address, statistics, etc.), in-game updating of social media platforms and score reporting;
- Communicating with and soliciting media for event coverage and feature stories on Merrimack College student-athletes, teams, and other department milestones and accomplishments;
- Planning and implementing historical archiving, as well as maintenance of photography database;
- Completing conference, regional and national award applications to recognize coaches and student-athletes from assigned teams and programs
- Compiling, disseminating, and maintaining sports statistics for assigned teams, including serving as official scorekeeper for all home games;
- Assisting with the setup, live production and breakdown of webcast equipment;
- Travel with teams as necessary, primarily for postseason contests (other travel may be required);
- Other duties as assigned and necessary;
- Bachelor’s degree, preferably in Communications, Media/Public Relations, Journalism, or similar;
- Experience working in an athletic communications office at an NCAA college or university;
- Must have excellent oral, written/editorial and interpersonal communication skills;
- Must possess a demonstrated mastery of AP style writing and editing skills;
- Familiarity with social media platforms and current trends in the industry;
- Working knowledge of Windows and Macintosh computers and operating systems;
- Strong background with Adobe Creative Suite software (InDesign, Photoshop, etc.);
- Knowledge of basic layout and design principles;
- Ability to work in a fast-paced, deadline-driven environment, with an emphasis on multi-tasking and working within a team environment while filling a variety of roles, especially on game day;
- Ability and willingness to travel and work nights and weekends as necessary are required;
- Strong working knowledge of StatCrew/The Automated Scorebook statistical software;
- Webcast production and basic video editing skills
Stipend: Salary Information: $2,000/month for nine months beginning on or around August 15, 2018. Position does not include benefits or housing/meal stipend. Opportunity for one-year renewal is at the discretion of the Assistant Athletic Director for Communications.
To Apply: Please apply online with cover letter and resume.
Merrimack College is an Equal Opportunity Employer.